Sixtieth Anniversary of the IAEA
The Agency’s Statute was approved on 23 October 1956 and entered into force on 29 July 1957. The first session of the Agency’s General Conference took place from 1 to 23 October 1957.
Video: L. Potterton/IAEA
This year, the Agency will, thus, be holding its sixtieth regular session of the General Conference. In recognition thereof, the Secretariat will organize a number of events and activities as well as utilize the already planned activities for 2016-2017 in order to commemorate its sixtieth anniversary starting at this General Conference. The commemoration will provide an opportunity to enhance the visibility of the Agency’s significant contribution to international peace and development, past and present. A logo for the sixtieth anniversary will be made available in June 2016 for use during the commemorative timeframe, from the second half of 2016 through October 2017.
The events and activities which the Secretariat plans to organize on the occasion of the sixtieth regular session of the General Conference include:
- A reception to commemorate the occasion to be held in the evening of the first day of the sixtieth regular session of the General Conference;
- A photo exhibition focusing on major events, projects and achievements since the establishment of the Agency, showcasing its contribution to peace and development, to be opened on the occasion of the sixtieth regular session of the General Conference in the M-building of the VIC;
- A special edition of IAEA Bulletin featuring the above photo exhibition;
- A series of short documentary films that focus on specific areas of the IAEA’s work; and
- A special Scientific Forum with high-level discussions following the adoption of the Sustainable Development Goals at the United Nations Sustainable Development Summit in September 2015, to be held under the title of “How can nuclear techniques help countries achieve the Sustainable Development Goals”.
See video messages received from organizations around the world, congratulating the IAEA on its 60th anniversary here.