IAEA By Numbers
At a Glance...
The information below is from the latest IAEA Annual Report.
- 168 Member States (as of February 2016).
- 77 intergovernmental and non-governmental organizations worldwide invited to observe the Agency's General Conference.
- 60 years of international service by 2016.
- 2 560 professional and support staff.
- €361 million total regular budget for 2016, supplemented by extrabudgetary expenditures in 2016 totalling €50.0 million.
- €69.8 million target in 2015 for voluntary contributions to the Agency's Technical Cooperation Fund, supporting projects involving 3 477 expert and lecturer assignments, 5 126 meeting participants and other project personnel, 2 722 participants in 175 regional and interregional training courses and 1 852 fellows and scientific visitors.
- 138 countries and territories receiving support through the Agency’s technical cooperation programme, including 35 least developed countries.
- 807 active technical cooperation projects at the end of 2015.
- 130 revised Supplementary Agreements governing the provision of technical assistance by the Agency.
- 2 liaison offices (in New York and Geneva) and 2 safeguards regional offices (in Tokyo and Toronto).
- 14 international laboratories (Vienna, Seibersdorf and Monaco) and research centres.
- 11 multilateral conventions on nuclear safety, security and liability adopted under the Agency’s auspices.
- 4 regional agreements relating to nuclear science and technology.
- 124 Revised Supplementary Agreements governing the provision of technical assistance by the Agency.
- 125 active Coordinated Research Projects (CRPs) involving 1 641 approved research, technical and doctoral contracts and research agreements. In addition, 73 Research Coordination Meetings were held.
- 18 national donors to the voluntary Nuclear Security Fund.
- 180 States in which safeguards agreements were being implemented, of which 124 States had additional protocols in force, with 2 114 safeguards inspections performed in 2014. Safeguards expenditures in 2014 amounted to €124.4 million in the operational portion of the Regular Budget and €21.8 million in extrabudgetary resources.
- 20 national safeguards support programmes and 1 multinational support programme (European Commission).
- 3.7 million records in the International Nuclear Information System (INIS), the Agency’s largest database, with over 492 000 full texts and 3.4 million page views and 420 000 document downloads in 2014.
- 1.1 million documents, technical reports, standards, conference proceedings, journals and books in the IAEA Library and 14 000 visitors to the Library in 2014.
- 186 publications, including newsletters, issued in 2014 (in print and electronic formats).