IAEA By Numbers
At a Glance...
The information below is from the latest IAEA Annual Report.
- 168 Member States (as of February 2016).
- 83 intergovernmental and non-governmental organizations worldwide invited to observe the Agency's General Conference.
- 61 years of international service by 2017.
- 2 497 professional and support staff.
- €361 million total regular budget for 2016, supplemented by extrabudgetary expenditures in 2016 totalling €50.0 million.
- €69.8 million target in 2015 for voluntary contributions to the Agency's Technical Cooperation Fund, supporting projects involving 3 477 expert and lecturer assignments, 5 126 meeting participants and other project personnel, 2 722 participants in 175 regional and interregional training courses and 1 852 fellows and scientific visitors.
- 138 countries and territories receiving support through the Agency’s technical cooperation programme, including 35 least developed countries.
- 807 active technical cooperation projects at the end of 2015.
- 126 revised Supplementary Agreements governing the provision of technical assistance by the Agency.
- 2 liaison offices (in New York and Geneva) and 2 safeguards regional offices (in Tokyo and Toronto).
- 12 international laboratories (Vienna, Seibersdorf and Monaco) and research centres.
- 11 multilateral conventions on nuclear safety, security and liability adopted under the Agency’s auspices.
- 4 regional agreements relating to nuclear science and technology.
- 126 Revised Supplementary Agreements governing the provision of technical assistance by the Agency.
- 131 active Coordinated Research Projects (CRPs) involving 1 686 approved research, technical and doctoral contracts and research agreements. In addition, 79 Research Coordination Meetings were held.
- 19 national donors to the voluntary Nuclear Security Fund.
- 181 States in which safeguards agreements were being implemented, of which 127 States had additional protocols in force, with 2 114 safeguards inspections performed in 2015. Safeguards expenditures in 2015 amounted to €130.7 million in the operational portion of the Regular Budget and €27.0 million in extrabudgetary resources.
- 20 national safeguards support programmes and 1 multinational support programme (European Commission).
- 3.9 million records in the International Nuclear Information System (INIS), the Agency’s largest database, with over 500 000 full texts and 2.3 million page views in 2015.
- 1.1 million documents, technical reports, standards, conference proceedings, journals and books in the IAEA Library and 14 000 visitors to the Library in 2015.
- 145 publications, including newsletters, issued in 2015 (in print and electronic formats).