In a cluster resolution adopted today, States meeting at the IAEA General Conference supported a range of activities to further strengthen IAEA activities in nuclear and radiation safety, including waste management and the transport of radioactive material.
The resolution cited the importance of a global "safety culture" as a key element of nuclear energy's peaceful uses, and said that "continuing efforts" are needed to reach and maintain the optimal levels. The resolution's parts cover the following elements:
- IAEA Safety Standards Programme
- Nuclear Installation Safety
- Radiation Safety
- Safety of Radioactive Waste Management
- Safe Decommissioning of Nuclear Activities
- Education & Training in Safety
- Code of Conduct on the Safety of Research Reactors
- International Nuclear & Radiological Emergency Preparedness & Response
- Transport Safety
The resolution urged the IAEA to continue and strengthen its efforts in safety areas, focusing particularly on technical areas and regions where the need for improvement is greatest.
A separate resolution up for adoption focuses on the safety and security of radioactive sources, commending a range of IAEA activities to assist countries.