Jul 9, 2012
RAS5065 First Coordination and Steering Meeting
The 1st coordination meeting for RAS5065 Supporting Climate-Proofing Rice Production System (CRIPS) based on Nuclear Applications was held from 25 to 29 June in Manila, Philippines.
The overall objectives of the meeting were:
- to discuss and finalize details of activities stipulated in the work plan to be implemented under RAS5065;
- to review the current status of mutants and advance rice crop varieties availability in participating Member States;
- to identify and address gaps and needs for selecting advanced, new rice crop varieties adaptable to climate change;
- to review the current status of best fit soil and water management practices in participating MSs;
- to identify the roles of nuclear and isotopic techniques;
- and to address gaps and needs for the application of integrated mutation/soil and water management technology packages, tailored to fit the local socio-economic and agro-ecological conditions, adaptable to climate change.
Participants of this meeting were from Bangladesh, China, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Thailand and Vietnam.