Waste Technology Section
International Decommissioning Network (IDN)
Group Scientific Visit to small nuclear facilities under active decommissioning in Europe, Trnava and Bohunice, Slovakia - 11—14 October 2011
The primary objective of this visit was to provide participants with an understanding of overall process required for effective project planning for a small nuclear facilities D&D projects.
The Group Scientific Visit in the course of four days provided:
- Lectures on key topics related to D&D projects of small nuclear facilities;
- Visits to decommissioned and RAW management facilities, discussions with field supervisory personnel on site, and demonstration of developed technologies.
The following topics were addressed:
- Project planning and decision-making;
- Project costing;
- Regulation and policy;
- Characterization, sampling, and analysis;
- Site closure.
- Decommissioning, RAW and SNF management in Slovakia (Mr. Michal, VUJE)
- Decommissioning activities in the IAEA (Mr. Michal, VUJE)
- Presentation of VUJE’s small nuclear facilities - history of operation, preparation for decommissioning, current status (Mr. Urbanec, VUJE)
- Regulatory aspects of decommissioning (Mr. Homola, Nuclear Regulatory Authority of Slovak Republic)
- A Standardised Listing of Cost Items for Decommissioning Costing & CERREX Software (Mr. Zachar, DECOM)
- National presentations of GSV participants:
Group Scientific Visit to Trnava and Bohunice, Slovakia