Waste Technology Section
Decommissioning of Facilities - Assistance to Member States
Direct assistance provided to Member States includes expert missions, scientific visits and, in limited cases, the procurement of equipment for measurement of radiological hazards. Training courses and fellowships are organised which are aimed at ensuring that personnel gain experience in the use of technologies that be used in the relevant Member State. This assistance is provided in the context of the Agency’s Technical Cooperation Programme.
Technical Cooperation projects in 2012-2013 & 2014-2015
- Establishing a National Decontamination Operational Unit for Hot Laboratories and a Waste Management Centre in Egypt;
- Improving the Characterization Techniques for the A1 NPP Decommissioning Project in Slovakia;
- Decommissioning of Auxiliary Systems of Nuclear Research Reactor in Georgia;
- Supporting Decommissioning and Waste Management for the Chernobyl, Ignalina and A1 Nuclear Power Plants (mini-regional TC project); and
- Supporting Decommissioning Implementation for Facilities Using Radioactive Material (regional TC project).
Technical Cooperation projects finalized in 2011
- Decommissioning of IRT Research Reactor in Georgia;
- Decommissioning of Heavy Water Research Reactor in China; and
- Decommissioning Planning for the Krško Nuclear Power Plant