Nuclear and Radiological Security: Progress on Measures to Prevent Terrorism
States Adopt Resolution on Nuclear and Radiological Security
In a resolution adopted 19 September, IAEA Member States commended progress on IAEA measures to help countries upgrade nuclear and
radiological security and prevent potential acts of nuclear terrorism.
Among other points, the resolution
- Calls upon all Member States to continue to provide support to upgrade nuclear and radiological security;
- Commends recent actions to locate, secure and remove orphan sources in a number of Member States;
- Welcomes IAEA activities to strengthen physical protection of nuclear materials and facilities, to respond to illicit
trafficking and to prevent nuclear and radiological terrorism;
- Appeals to Member States to accede to the Convention on the Physical Protection of Nuclear Material, and welcomes the work to
further strengthen the Convention;
- Invites all Member States to participate in the IAEA's Illicit Trafficking Database covering reported cases involving nuclear
and radiological materials.