International Atomic Energy Agency
(Unofficial electronic version)
Forty-first regular session
Agenda item 18
Resolution adopted on 3 October 1997 during the 9th plenary meeting
Measures Against Illicit Trafficking in Nuclear Materials and Other Radioactive Sources
- The General Conference,
- (a) Recalling its resolutions GC(XXXVIII)/RES/15 and GC(39)/RES/18 and GC(40)/RES/17 regarding measures against illicit trafficking in nuclear materials and other radioactive sources, and
- (b) Noting the programme for preventing and combatting illicit trafficking in nuclear material agreed upon by the participants in the Moscow Nuclear Summit of April 1996 contained in document INFCIRC/509, and
- (c) Welcoming the confirmation by participants in the Denver Summit of June 1997 of their commitment to implement the "Programme for Preventing and Combatting Illicit Trafficking in Nuclear Materials".
- Takes note of the progress report submitted by the Secretariat in document GC(41)/21;
- Welcomes the activities in the fields of prevention, response, training and information exchange undertaken by the Secretariat in support of efforts against illicit trafficking;
- Invites the Director General to continue working during the coming year in accordance with the relevant conclusions of the Board of Governors; and
- Requests the Director General to submit a report to the General Conference at its next regular session on activities undertaken by the Agency in the intervening period.