Mr Jean-Pierre Gattuso, Laboratoire d'océanographie de Villefranche, France
Facilitate actions to develop common international data formats, coordinate existing efforts and promote data access and sharing within the ocean acidification research community. Compile published data on the impacts of ocean acidification and make them openly accessible.
Successful research and science requires that data be shared in an organized and timely fashion and that it is managed and stored using internationally agreed common data formats. This is especially true when there is a new flourish of scientific activity, as with the study of ocean acidification. National research projects on ocean acidification have their own data management activities and data sharing policies, but there has been little focus on data sharing among projects at an international level. Similarly, there is no agreement on how to centralize or share data across the worldwide scientific community.
- Data compilation
The OA-ICC has resumed, in close collaboration with Xiamen University and Pangaea, a data rescue and transformation effort initiated in 2008 by the European projects EPOCA and EUR-OCEANS. The compilation is hosted at Pangaea, Data Publisher for Earth and Environmental Science, operated by Alfred Wegener Institute in Bremerhaven. It currently includes data from almost 600 publications investigating a biological response to ocean acidification (list).
The data portal is available here. User instructions are available here.
- Workshop on international management of ocean acidification data
The OA-ICC organized a technical meeting that brought together the data managers and curators of major research projects and scientists to discuss coordination of existing efforts, best practices and the way forward in ocean acidification data management and access. The effort focused on the management of experimental data. More information.
- EPOCA/EUR-OCEANS data compilation (EPOCA web site)
- Pesant et al., 2010 "Safeguarding and sharing ocean acidification data"
- Nisumaa et al. 2010 "EPOCA/EUR-OCEANS data compilation on the biological and biogeochemical responses to ocean acidification"
- British Oceanographic Data Centre (BODC)
- US National Ocanographic Data Center (NODC) Ocean Acidification Scientific Data Stewardship (OADS)
- US Biological and Chemical Oceanography Data Management Office (BCO-DMO)
- NOAA Ocean Acidification Program Data management
- International Ocean Carbon Coordination Project (observational data)
- CMIP5/OCMIP5 FileFinderAR5 Web Application (modeling data)