African Network for Education in Science and Technology
The Africa Regional Cooperative Agreement for Research Development and Training related to Science and Technology (AFRA) established the AFRA Network for Education in Nuclear Science and Technology (AFRA-NEST) in order to implement AFRA strategy on Human Resource Development (HRD) and Nuclear Knowledge Management (NKM).
The main objective of AFRA-NEST is to facilitate operation and networking in higher education, training and related research in Nuclear Science (NS&T) in the African Region through
- Sharing of information and materials of nuclear education and training;
- Developing harmonized approaches for education in nuclear science and technology in Africa by establishing reference curricula and facilitating mutual recognition of degrees;
- Promoting effective cooperation and sharing of resources and capabilities at national and regional level;
- Facilitating the exchange of students, teachers and researchers;
- Serving as facilitator for communication between the network member organizations and other regional networks.
The strategies for implementing the objectives are
- to use ICT for web-based education and training,
- recognition of Regional Designated Centres (RDCs) for professional nuclear education in nuclear science and technology,
- organization of harmonized and accredited programs at tertiary levels and
- awarding of fellowships/scholarships to young and brilliant students for teaching and research in the various nuclear disciplines.
Essentially, the main function of the AFRA-NEST is to foster sustainable human resource development and nuclear knowledge management to satisfy the needs of African countries with/without higher education in the priority areas of non-power and power applications of nuclear energy. In this regard, Ghana was nominated to host the Cyber Learning Platform for Nuclear Education and Training for the AFRA region.
AFRA-NEST is to integrate all available higher education capabilities in Africa as well as the industries in nuclear professional associations in synergy with existing IAEA and other regional/international nuclear educational institutions.
AFRA-NEST is also to focus on encouraging senior nuclear professionals to share their experience and knowledge of young generation.