Transcript of Director General´s Remarks to Media Following Talks on Supplying Nuclear Fuel to Iran
IAEA Headquarters Vienna
21 October 2009
We just concluded our meeting of 2 1/2 days on "how-to" modalities, and how to ensure that Iran will have the fuel required for its research reactor.
As you know that research reactor is used for producing medical isotopes for diagnosis and treatment of cancer, so it is a purely humanitarian mission, objective.
However, everybody is aware that that transaction using Iran´s low enriched uranium to be manufactured into fuel is a very important confidence building measure that can diffuse a crisis that has been going on for a number of years and open space for negotiation.
I must say that, everybody who participated at the meeting was trying to help, trying to look to the future and not to the past, trying to heal the wounds that existed for many, many years.
I have circulated a draft agreement that reflects, in my judgement, a balanced approach on how to move forward.
The deadline for the parties to give, I hope, affirmative action, is Friday, two days from now. And if we do get an affirmative action, then I hope that we will have an agreement we can send to the BoG.
There has been talks on technical issues, legal issues, policy issues, issues of confidence and trust and that is why it has taken us some time and that is why we need to send the agreement to the capitals for final approval.
I very much hope that people see the big picture, see that this agreement could open the way for a complete normalization of relations between Iran and the international community.
It´s a very unique technical meeting, because it is a technical meeting although, that has been followed by heads of States, in fact with the actual engagement in the process. I would cross my fingers that by Friday we should have an okay, an approval, by all parties concerned.
Q: Can you tell us details?
Everybody should, including of course Iran, should sign up on this by Friday.
Q: France will also be included?
My proposal has France included.
Q: Do you think by the end of your term, this agreement could be endorsed?
I hope so, if we get an affirmative response by all parties by Friday then we have an agreement, then we just go to the Board for formal ratification. I will have to wait until Friday, I am optimistic and as I said, the spirit here was very constructive and forward-looking.