"I Was Jumping With Joy" – Nobel Peace Prize Wishes
IAEA staff join journalists at the press briefing in the Vienna International Centre following the announcement of the Nobel Peace Prize to the IAEA and its Director General. (Photo Credit: D. Calma/IAEA)
- Story Resources
- Director General Statement
- Dr. ElBaradei Bio
- Nobel Message: "Keep Doing What You Are Doing"
- Nobel Announcement of IAEA Award
- Director General Wins Prize, CNN, 7 October 2005
- IAEA & Director Q & A, CNN, 7 October 2005
- Director General Interview, Nobel Committee, 7 October 2005
- IAEA Imagebank
People from around the world have written to offer their well wishes and congratulations to the IAEA on the receipt of the Nobel Peace Prize. A sampling follows:
- Congratulations! For the Nobel Peace Prize well done! Go ahead! Nice work people! I´m so proud of you! "Keep Doing What you are Doing." -- Miguel Alvarado, Cordoba - Argentina.
- Congratulations to IAEA and yourself for winning the 2005 Nobel Peace Prize, which you deserved so much. This recognition will surely turn a stranger into a friend and will give you the strength and force to move beyond what you thought you could do even yesterday! -- Mitcham, Australia, M. Amanullah Khan (Mak).
- I am writing to offer my wholehearted congratulations on your Nobel Peace Prize achievement today! I was part of the IAEA from April ´94 - September ´97. I often think of that period in my life as being the most exciting, though most intense workwise, and am glad to have been part of the small but elite team in ADEX for 3 years. -- Susan McLaughlan, Western Isles, Scotland.
- Egypt feels proud of you today. All Egyptians do as it is the second time an Egyptian has won such a prize. All Egypt is proud of you and your achievements in stopping the world from going to a third nuclear war. -- Muhammad Ahmed Abdulaziz, Electronics & Communications Engineer/Egypt.
- Congratulations on your prize. You deserve it! I have long admired the work you do as well as that of the retired Hans Blix. The world needs more people like you. -- Barbara R. Iverson, Sedona, AZ USA.
- I am just a citizen of the world but I followed your fighting for the truth about "the weapons" in Iraq and always believed in you and your team. You had the courage to stand up... Thank you, M. Elbaradei, for being the man you are! -- Robert Van Kalck, Brussels, Belgium.
- Allow me to express my deep admiration for you and your work. I wish you good health, good luck and much satisfaction in your further life. --Ing. Kamil Vojtasik, Czech Republic.
- Hey Dad! Keep up the good work. -- Well wishes from a son to his father at the IAEA, Arlington, Virginia USA.
- Congratulations on winning the Noble Prize. You deserved it. -- Aasi Tahir Siddique, Pakistan.
- Kindly accept my congratulations to IAEA and Dr. ElBaradei on winning the Nobel Peace Prize for this year! I was inspired by the news of IAEA/Dr. ElBaradei winning the Nobel. This is my humble gift to you, for a great job... well done! Wishing you the very best in your future endeavors. -- Arun Joboy, Sultanate of Oman.
- Congratulations on the Nobel Peace Award! I retired in 1998 having worked more than 13 years with the Agency. -- John P. Colton, USA.
- The awarding of Nobel Peace Prize to IAEA and the Director General affirms that notwithstanding the arguments of the critics, you have worked for the world peace in a neutral, impartial and honest way. Let there be no doubt about it !! CONGRATULATIONS to everyone from GS 1 to the DG level in IAEA. -- Fellow, University of Melbourne, Australia.
- This is just a quick note to tell you how delighted I am to hear about the Nobel Prize you were awarded. I´m an Egyptian living in Australia. On hearing the news on Arabic radio in Sydney, I was jumping with joy, and I even called my family in Cairo just to share the great news, without even realising that it was after midnight there! Then I was telling just about everyone I met at work today about this news we´ve all felt greatly honoured to hear. Thanks for making us so proud, and all the best with all your huge responsibilities. -- Riham Youssef, Sydney, Australia.
- I have just learnt that your organisation and Dr. ElBaradai has won the Nobel Prize. I wanted to congratulate and say "thank you" that you are working for all of us to make the world a safer place! All the best for the future and do not stop with you work, people appreciate very much what you are doing. -- Isabelle Eyrich, Germany.
- A lot of congratulations to you and IAEA. Hope this letter finds you in good health and high spirits. May I use this time to share my happiness with you and your family for getting the Nobel Peace Prize. I beg you to visit our country whenever you become free. With love, -- Abdul Rashee K., India.
- My husband and I want to congratulate you and Mohamed ElBaradei for receiving the Nobel Peace prize. We feel it is an extremely significant award that is given to people and organizations which are working hard to help preserve our world. Your organization has shown great objectivity and hard work in dealing with complicated and difficult issues facing the world. The Nobel peace committee has chosen wisely in awarding your organization and Mohamed ElBaradei this award. -- Beth Galton and Fred Phelps, Switzerland.
- All the work carried out by the IAEA would be impossible without the work of all the members of its staff. This award means a deep recognition of the value of this organization since its beginning nearly 50 years ago and to the future forever. Congratulations to the IAEA and to all of you. -- Dra Diva E. Puig, Uruguay.