News Conference to Wrap Up Convention on Nuclear Safety Review Meeting
1 April 2014
1 April 2014| A review meeting of the Convention on Nuclear Safety will end with a News Conference on Friday, 4 April 2014 in Vienna.
More than 800 delegates have attended the two-week Sixth Review Meeting of the Contracting Parties to the Convention on Nuclear Safety. Such meetings are convened every three years to hold peer discussions of the parties' nuclear safety activities.
The International Atomic Energy Agency, which serves as the Secretariat for the Convention, has hosted the meeting.
In addition to reviewing each other's work, participants have discussed proposals to strengthen the Convention, which entered into force in 1996. An incentive instrument, it aims to commit participating States and organizations to maintain a high level of nuclear safety by setting international benchmarks. The 76 Contracting Parties to the Convention have committed to report on the implementation of their obligations, with the reports being reviewed by participants in meetings held every three years.
One day of the meeting was devoted to discussions on lessons learned from the March 2011 accident at TEPCO's Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station.
More information about the Convention, including links to national reports from parties is available here.
Senior officials at the meeting include:
- President: André-Claude Lacoste, Former Chairman of the French Nuclear Safety Authority (ASN), France
- Vice-President: Sukho Lee, Korean Institute of Nuclear Safety, Republic of Korea
- Vice-President: Khoirul Huda, Badan Pengawas Tenaga Nuklir, Indonesia
Media have the following opportunities to cover the review meeting:
- Session to finalize and approve Summary Report: Thursday, 3 April, 15:30-17:00, Boardroom A, M-Building
- News Conference: Friday, 4 April, 14:30 M6, M-Building. The News Conference will be streamed live online and available for downloading afterwards. Please note that this is a view-only channel.
All journalists are requested to inform the IAEA Press Office of their plans to attend. Journalists with permanent credentials to the VIC need no additional credentials. Others should contact Ms. Jayne Stringer for accreditation. Please email [email protected] or call [43-1] 2600-21279 or [43-1] 2600-21273.