IAEA Hosts International Experts' Meeting on Severe Accident Management after Fukushima
13 March 2014
13 March 2014| The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) will hold an expert meeting to share knowledge on ways to mitigate the impact of severe nuclear emergencies, drawing on lessons learned from the accident at TEPCO's Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station.
The International Experts' Meeting on Severe Accident Management in the Light of the Accident at the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant will convene from 17 to 20 March 2014 at the Agency's headquarters in Vienna. Experts will share and discuss best practices, and lessons from past accidents will be reviewed.
The meeting is part of a series of expert meetings held to promote the implementation of the IAEA Action Plan on Nuclear Safety, which sets out steps to strengthen nuclear safety worldwide in light of the March 2011 accident at Fukushima Daiichi. The Action Plan was endorsed by the IAEA's General Conference in September 2011.
More than 200 participants, representing 48 IAEA Member States and four international organizations, will take part in the expert meeting. A report will be published on the IAEA website after the meeting.
Journalists are invited to attend the 90-minute opening session, set to start at 14:00 on 17 March in Boardroom D, on the 4th floor of the Vienna International Centre's C-Building.
A news conference with Denis Flory, IAEA Deputy Director General and Head of the Department of Nuclear Safety and Security, and meeting Chair Mohammad Anwar Habib, Chairman of the Pakistan Nuclear Regulatory Authority (PNRA), will take place at 15:30 on Thursday, 20 March 2014 in Boardroom D.
All journalists are requested to inform the IAEA Press Office of their plans to attend. Journalists with permanent credentials to the VIC need no additional credentials. Others should contact Ms. Jayne Stinger for accreditation. Please email IAEA Press Office; tel: [+43-1] 2600-21279 or [+43-1] 2600-21273.
Reports from earlier International Experts' Meetings:
- IAEA Report on Decommissioning and Remediation After a Nuclear Accident (28 January-1 February 2013), September 2013
- IAEA Report on Preparedness and Response for a Nuclear or Radiological Emergency in Light of Accident at Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant, September 2013
- IAEA Report on Strengthening Nuclear Regulatory Effectiveness in Light of Accident at Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant, September 2013
- IAEA Report on Protection Against Extreme Earthquakes and Tsunamis in Light of Accident at Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant (4-7 September 2012), December 2012
- IAEA Report on Enhancing Transparency and Communication Effectiveness in Event of a Nuclear or Radiological Emergency (18-22 June 2012), November 2012
- IAEA Report on Reactor and Spent Fuel Safety in Light of Accident at Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant (19-22 March 2012), November 2012