In 1995 the Board of Governors accepted the Director
General's plan to implement at any early date under existing
legal authority measures aimed at strengthening the present
system. These measures include:
- Broader access to information
- - through the provision by States of: an expanded declaration
the State or regional system of accounting and control of nuclear
material (SSAC); information on present nuclear activities; and
information on planned nuclear activities;
- - through the taking of environmental samples; and
- - through the improved analysis of information.
- Greater physical access
- - through greater use of unannounced routine inspections.
- Optimization of the present system
- - through the introduction of new safeguards measurement and
surveillance systems; and
- - though increased co-operation with States and SSACs.
In December 1995, the Board of Governors held an initial review
of the Secretariat's discussion paper on measures which would
require additional legal authority to implement. The discussion
paper represents another step in the consultative process
designed to foster consensus on the required strengthening