What is Being Done to Halt the Further Spread of Nuclear Weapons?
Why Are IAEA Safeguards Important?
What Assurances Do Safeguards Seek to Provide?
How Are Safeguards Agreements Implemented?
What Specific Challenges Have There Been for IAEA Verification?
Can the IAEA Prevent the Diversion of Declared Material?
How Has the Safeguards System Been Strengthened?
How Much Do Safeguards Cost?
What is the Future of IAEA Verification?
More detailed information on the IAEA safeguards system can be
found in the following documents, which can be obtained from the IAEA
Division of Publications:
- The Agency's Statute
- The Non-Proliferation Treaty, IAEA document INFCIRC/140
- The Agency's Safeguards System (1965, as provisionally extended in 1996 and 1968), IAEA document INFCIRC/66/Rev.2
- The Structure and Content of Agreements between the Agency
and States Required in Connection with the Treaty on the
Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons
, IAEA document INFCIRC/153(Corr.)
- Model Protocol Additional to the Agreement(s) between State(s) and the International Atomic Energy Agency for the Application of Safeguards, IAEA document INFCIRC/540
- IAEA Safeguards: Glossary, IAEA/SG/INF/1 (Rev.1)
- IAEA Safeguards: Guidelines for States' Systems of
Accounting for and Control of Nuclear Materials, IAEA/SG/INF/2
- International Nuclear Verification Series No. 1, Safeguards
Techniques and Equipment
- International Nuclear Safeguards 1994: Vision for the
future, Proceedings of the IAEA Symposium held in Vienna, 14-18 March
- Safeguards and Industry, IAEA Bulletin, Vol. 38, No. 4, 1996
- IAEA Yearbook 1997: Part E: IAEA Safeguards