Planning & Economic Studies Section (PESS):
Capacity Building for Sustainable Energy Development
14th Session of the Commission on Sustainable Development: CSD-14 (1-12 May 2006)
Click here to read the Secretary-General's report to CSD-14, "Energy for sustainable development, industrial development, air pollution/atmosphere and climate change: integrated review of progress in meeting the goals, targets and commitments of Agenda 21, the Programme for the Further Implementation of Agenda 21 and the Plan of Implementation of the World Summit on Sustainable Development".
This statement was contributed by the IAEA as part of CSD-14's Session on "Making a Difference: Interactive Discussions with UN Organizations". Read the statement.
IAEA/OECD-NEA SIDE EVENT ON GLOBAL STATUS AND OUTLOOK FOR NUCLEAR POWER.
On 5 May 2006, the IAEA organized a side event together with the OECD/NEA jointly to discuss important issues facing the CSD-14 in connection with nuclear power's role in sustainable development. These are summarized in this brochure. To see the PowerPoint presentations please click on the appropriate link:
- Global Status and Outlook for Nuclear Power, presented by H.-Holger Rogner, Former Head of the Planning and Economic Studies Section, IAEA
- Nuclear Power: Global Status and Outlook, presented by Alan McDonald, Former Programme Coordinator for 1.3, Department of Nuclear Energy, IAEA
- Global Status and Outlook, presented by Thierry Dujardin, Deputy Director, Science and Development, OECD/NEA
- U.S. Status and Outlook for Nuclear Power, presented by K.P. Lau, Office of Nuclear Energy, U.S. Department of Energy
UN ENERGY SIDE EVENT.
At a UN-Energy side event on 4 May 2006, Mr Rogner and Prof Andrews Kwasi Addae of the Ghana Energy Commission presented a UN-Energy demonstration study on energy options for Ghana. For more information about UN-Energy, click here.
PARTNERSHIPS FAIR: INDICATORS FOR SUSTAINABLE ENERGY DEVELOPMENT.
On 3 May 2006, the IAEA conducted a session on indicators for sustainable energy development as part of the CSD-14 Partnerships Fair. To see the presentation, please click here.
LEARNING CENTRE EVENT ON ENERGY INDICATORS FOR SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT.
On 4 May 2006, the IAEA conducted a session at the CSD-14 Learning Centre on energy indicators for sustainable development. To see the two presentations, please click on the appropriate link:
- Energy Indicators for Sustainable Development, presented by Alan McDonald, Former Programme Coordinator for 1.3, Department of Nuclear Energy, IAEA
- Introduction to Energy Indicators: Motivation and Approach, presented by Fridtjof Unander, OECD/IEA
PARTNERSHIPS FAIR: DESIGNING COUNTRY PROFILES ON SUSTAINABLE ENERGY DEVELOPMENT.
On 4 May 2006, the IAEA conducted a session on designing country profiles on sustainable energy development as part of the CSD-14 Partnerships Fair. To see the presentation, please click here.
LINK TO THE CSD-14 WEB SITE
To access the UNDESA CSD-14 web site, please click here.