The IAEA promotes and develops two important aspects on radioactive waste management: universally applicable safety regime through the development of safety standards and application of safe and proven technologies in radioactive waste management.
To manage radioactive waste resulting both from the nuclear fuel cycle and nuclear applications, the IAEA's Waste Technology Section fosters technology transfer, promotes information exchange and cooperative research, as well as builds capacity in Member States by:
- Assisting to develope consistent policies and related strategies;
- Assisting with the predisposal and disposal stages of waste management;
- Helping to manage disused sealed radioactive sources;
- Assisting with planning and implementing decommissioning strategies and projects; and
- Supporting cleaning-up of legacy waste and environmental remediation actions of radiologically contaminated sites.