Research Reactor Section
Infrastructure, Planning and Innovation
The Research Reactor Section's work in this area is mainly focused on gathering and sharing pertinent information amongst Member States about planning for research reactor projects, new and innovative research reactor technologies, and supplying material and human resource needs for developing research reactor infrastructure. We aim to increase the competence of interested Member States in planning and implementation of large scale research reactor projects; this includes developing human resources, planning for the construction of new research reactors, and implementation of new technologies, structures, and components to satisfy evolving demand for research reactor goods and services.
Young scientists training during the
EERRI Group Fellowship Training Course
By helping young scientists learn to use research reactor applications and providing them with real-world experience, the IAEA is helping advance the field of science in many developing countries. These IAEA-supported courses intend to facilitate training in research reactor applications and practical exercises for nuclear scientists and reactor staff in the developing world and newcomer states.
- Human Resource Development
- Internet Reactor Project
- Workshops for Orientation and Training on the Internet Reactor Laboratory in Bariloche, Argentina, and Saclay, France
- International Centers based on Research Reactor
- Workshop on Enhanced Role of Research Reactors in Education and Training in Newcomer States Planning Nuclear Power Plants, 9–13 December 2013
- Internet Reactor Project
- Development of a Catalogue: "Capabilities and Capacities of Research Reactors towards Deployment of Innovative Nuclear Energy Systems and Technologies"
- Cooperative Research Project on Innovative Methods in Research Reactor Analysis (Closed)
- Support for Research Reactor Safety Section work in infrastructure and planning - with the Nuclear Safety Research Reactor Safety Section
- Training Workshop on the Implementation of Integrated Management Systems for Research Reactors
- IAEA Support To New Research Reactor Projects (Newcomers)
Specific Considerations and Milestones in the Development of a Research Reactor - IAEA Nuclear Energy Series (2012)
This publication can be used by Member States to assess their development status, and to enable them to prioritize the activities that they need to complete in order to prepare to order, license, construct and then safely operate their first research reactor. This guidance aims to help Member States understand their commitments and obligations associated with undertaking a research reactor programme. It may also be used to support reassessment by a Member State already operating a research reactor.
For more Infrastructure, Planning and Innovation publications, see the Research Reactor Bibliography.