Nuclear Fuel Cycle and Materials
Nuclear Power Reactor Fuel Engineering
Project on In-reactor Behavior and Operational Experience of Fuel for Nuclear Power Reactors
Fuel performance and reliability are of key importance for safe operation of nuclear power plants. Nuclear fuel needs to be competitive, robust and able to operate at high burnup, for longer cycles and at higher thermal rates.
To ensure more efficient nuclear fuel utilization, the project on In-reactor Behavior and Operational Experience of Fuel for Nuclear Power Reactors assists Member States in improving understanding of the mechanisms of in-core structural materials degratation, and in increasing efficiency of fuel performance codes.
The focus of the project is on exchanging information in the area of fuel performance and on assistance to countries operating or intending to start operating nuclear reactors of different designs. Experts and professionals in research establishments, fuel designers, specialists of nuclear power plants and regulatory bodies will be the beneficiaries of the activities in this project.
For further information, please contact the NEFW Contact Point.
Activities in 2013
- Technical Meeting on 'Modelling of Water-cooled Fuel Including Design Basis and Severe Accidents', 28 October - 1 November, Chengdu, China
- Technical Meeting on 'High Burnup Fuel Economics and Operational Experience', November, Buenos Aires, Argentina
- RCM-1 of CRP 'Reliability of High Power, Extended Burnup and Advanced PHWR Fuel'
- Nuclear Energy Series Report on 'Accelerator Simulation and Modelling Of Radiation Effects'
Activities in 2012
- Workshop on Environmental Degradation of Components in Nuclear Power Plants, Trieste, Italy, 5-16 March 2012
- Technical Meeting on In-pile Testing and Instrumentation for Development of Gen-IV Materials, 21-24 August, Halden, Norway
- Technical Meeting on Fuel Integrity during Normal Operation and Accident Conditions in Pressurized Heavy Water Reactors (PHWR), 24-27 September, Bucharest, Romania
- Modelling of Transport of Radioactive Substances in the Primary Circuit of Water-cooled Reactors (TECDOC-1672)
- Behaviour of High Corrosion Resistance Zr-based Alloys (Proceedings of a TM held in Buenos Aires, Argentina, in 2005) – working materials
- High Burnup Fuel Experience and Economics (Proceedings of a TM held in Sofia, Bulgaria, in 2005) – working materials
Activities in 2011
- Optimization of Water Chemistry to Ensure Reliable Water Reactor Fuel Performance at High Burnup and in Ageing Plant (FUWAC), TECDOC-1666.
- Technical Meeting on Fuel Behaviour and Modelling Under Severe Transient and LOCA Conditions, 16-19 May, Mito, Japan
- Technical Meeting on 'Hot-cell PIE and Pool-side Inspection of Nuclear Fuel', 23-27 May, Smolenice, Slovakia. TECDOC in publication.
- ICTP-LAEA 'Radiation Damage in Nuclear Materials', 14-18 November, Trieste, Italy
- RCM-3 of CRP 'Accelerator Simulation and Theoretical Modelling of Radiation Effects' (SMoRE), 28 November - 2 December, Vienna