Obninsk and Novovoronezh, Russian Federation
Technical Meeting on Becoming a Knowledgeable Customer within the Framework of a Nuclear Power Programme
After a policy decision has been taken to launch or expand a Member State’s nuclear power programme, an appropriate organization (preferably the future NPP Owner/Operator) should be charged with the responsibility to realize the completion of the NPP project. During this process it is important for the future owner/operator to become a knowledgeable customer, especially when dealing with the 19 issues outlined in the IAEA Milestones publication (IAEA Nuclear Energy Series No. NG-G-3.1). A knowledgeable customer knows what to ask for, how to ask for it, and how to know that is has received what it has asked for.
This concept has been developed and shared in a workshop in Paris in November 2012. The coming event will take into account the feedback from the previous workshop and cover more detailed and practical aspects and steps that should be taken by an organization. It will address the following topics:
- Main aspects of a knowledgeable customer
- Clarifying roles and responsibilities of owner, operator, vendor, advisor, owner engineer, etc.
- Being a knowledgeable customer under different ownership and contracting options
- How to develop the capability to become a knowledgeable customer
- Case studies and development of strategic partnerships
- Expectations and key attributes of a knowledgeable customer, including legal aspects
This event is expected to include a visit to Novovoronezh NPP with both operating units and units under construction. For additional information regarding participant eligibility, please refer to the Information Sheet below. Please also note that the deadline for nomination, through official channels, is 21 February 2014.
IAEA Scientific Secretary
Mr Benoît Lepouzé
Integrated Nuclear Infrastructure Group
IAEA Division of Nuclear Power
Please contact Nuclear Infrastructure Development - Contact Point if you have any questions.