International Atomic Energy Agency
(Unofficial electronic version)
23 May 1997
Forty-first regular session
APPLICATIONS FOR MEMBERSHIP OF THE AGENCY
Application by Burkina Faso
Recommendation by the Board of Governors
- On 10 March 1997 the following letter from the Minister for Foreign Affairs of Burkina Faso was communicated to the Board:
"On behalf of the Government of Burkina Faso I have the honour to submit an application for membership on the International Atomic Energy Agency.
On behalf of my Government I should like to assure you that Burkina Faso is prepared to discharge the obligations of Members of the Agency and to act in accordance with the aims and principles of the Charter of the United Nations."
- On 17 March 1997 the Board considered this application for membership of the Agency in the light of Article IV.B of the Statute, and determined that Burkina Faso was able and willing to carry out the obligations of membership of the Agency and to act in accordance with the purposes and principles of the Charter of the United Nations. The Board recommends the Conference to approve Burkina Faso for membership of the Agency, and submits the draft resolution overleaf for the consideration of the Conference.
APPLICATION BY BURKINA FASO FOR MEMBERSHIP OF THE AGENCY
The General Conference,
- (a) Having received the recommendation of the Board of Governors that Burkina Faso should be approved for membership of the Agency, */ and
- (b) Having considered the application of Burkina Faso for membership in the light of Article IV.B of the Statute,
- Approves Burkina Faso for membership of the Agency; and
- Determines, pursuant to Financial Regulation 5.09**/, that in the event of Burkina Faso becoming a Member of the Agency during the remainder of 1997 or in 1998, it shall be assessed as appropriate:
- (a) For an advance or advances to the Working Capital Fund, in accordance with Financial Regulation 7.04**/; and
- (b) For a contribution or contributions towards the Agency's Regular Budget, in accordance with the principles and arrangements the Conference has established for the assessment of Members for such contributions***/.
Back to listing of GC documents
***/ Resolutions GC(III)RES/50, GC(XXI)RES/351, and GC(39)RES/11.